By Muhammad Tito Karnavian
Since Sept. 11 many books were released on Islamic terrorism, yet few of those have thought of the problem from the point of view of strategic stories or when it comes to an “insurgency.” accordingly, a lot of this literature ignores the method of radicalisation and fails to check why a few humans flip to terrorism, whereas others from a similar heritage don't. To counter this pattern, Explaining Islamist Insurgencies explains how and why the method of Islamist radicalisation is a crucial step in the direction of acts of terrorism and within the formation of terrorist agencies via targeting Poso, a small city in Indonesia that skilled years of armed sectarian clash among Muslim and Chrisitian groups in 2000–2007. construction at the frameworks supplied via past experiences, Muhammed Tito Karnavian employs communications concept to discover the required precursors for the legitimising ideology, therefore Salafi-jihadism, to be successfully disseminated.
With approximately twenty years of expertise in academia and counter-terrorism operations in Indonesia, and because the present leader of Papua Police, Karnavian employs his unheard of entry to details and contributors to delineate some of the phases of the radicalisation of the Poso clash and the way radical firms, corresponding to al-Jamaah al-Islamiyyah (JI), got here to be concerned. This targeted first-hand account of a counter-terrorist operation concludes by means of providing normal coverage implications that may be of use to either lecturers and practitioners.
- Al-Jamaah al-Islamiyyah: From Insurgency to Terrorism
- Violence in Poso: From Armed Sectarian clash to Terrorism, 1998–2007
- First Causal issue: Disaffected Persons
- Second Causal issue: allowing Group
- Third Causal issue: Legitimising Ideology
- The Radicalisation technique of Muslims in Poso
- Conclusion and coverage Implications
- Appendix: Figures and Tables
Readership: scholars, teachers and practitioners of strategic stories, counter-terrorism experiences and clash studies.
- The writer is a practitioner in strategic experiences. he's a police significant normal who has an unlimited adventure in counter-terrorism operations in Indonesia together with the Bali Bombings
- The writer has handled an important Islamist terrorist team in Southeast Asia, al-Jamaah al-Islamiyyah (responsible for the Bali bombings and different bomb assaults in Indonesia), first hand. There are a number of books were written on al-Jamaah al-Islamiyyah, yet lots of the authors of those are in simple terms academics
- Many books have tried to give an explanation for the phenomena of Islamic radicalisation throughout the lens of psychology, anthropology, background etc. This ebook bargains one other point of view through the use of communications thought, and comprises 5 courses to be built for countering radicalisation
Read or Download Explaining Islamist Insurgencies:The Case of al-Jamaah al-Islamiyyah and the Radicalisation of the Poso Conflict, 2000￢??2007 (Imperial College Press Insurgency and Terrorism Series) PDF
Best terrorism books
No description on hand
This can be the 1st publication to set out a entire framework through which to appreciate terrorism as method. It contends that even terrorism of the supposedly nihilist kind will be considered as a bona fide approach for dispensing skill to fulfil the ends of coverage, that's, as a method. the most goal of the paintings is to explain the dynamics of terrorism and overview their effectiveness, in addition to to theorize upon, and make clear the correlation among, political ends and terrorist capability.
The present paradigm of violence in South Asia relies on militancy and strategic terrorism drawing from extremist ideologies, be it faith, ethnicity or sub nationalism around the sector. whereas usually fundamentalism is related to be the middle of clash in South Asia, there are numerous diversified threads to instability.
Osama bin Laden's loss of life in may perhaps 2011 marked in simple terms the symbolic finish of an period. by the point of his killing, he now not represented the Robin Hood icon that after stirred worldwide fascination. Ten years after the eleven September 2001 assaults, jihadi terrorism has mostly misplaced its juggernaut luster. It now more often than not resembles a patchwork of self-radicalising neighborhood teams with overseas contacts yet with none principal organisational layout - similar to the novel left terrorism of the Nineteen Seventies and the anarchist fin-de-siècle terrorism.
- Morte di un presidente: Quello che né lo Stato né le BR hanno mai raccontato sulla prigionia e l’assassinio di Aldo Moro (Italian Edition)
- Extremism, Counter-terrorism and Policing
- Understanding Terrorism Innovation and Learning: Al-Qaeda and Beyond (Political Violence)
- Experimentation and Rapid Prototyping in Support of Counterterrorism
Additional info for Explaining Islamist Insurgencies:The Case of al-Jamaah al-Islamiyyah and the Radicalisation of the Poso Conflict, 2000￢??2007 (Imperial College Press Insurgency and Terrorism Series)