By Tom Pollard
Read or Download Loving Vampires: Our Undead Obsession PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
Probably the most magnificent, eclectic thinkers in Victorian England, the Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould (1834–1924) was once intrigued through the gruesome and sometimes savage background of the center a long time. The famous writer and folklorist’s fascination with the interval led to this soaking up compilation of classic stories surrounding such figures as William inform and the fellow within the Moon.
Portrayed by way of early trip writers as historic pagan survivals, fairs in Sardinia have lengthy involved either local islanders and outsiders. yet on the sunrise of the twenty-first century, this Mediterranean island has develop into a part of an international economic system, and its fairs allure travelers from around the globe.
The Ozidi Saga is one in all Africa's most sensible identified prosimetric epics, set within the Delta zone of Nigeria. Blood at the Tides examines the epic -- a story of a warrior and his sorcerer grandmother's revenge upon the assassins who killed her son -- either for instance of oral literature and as a mirrored image of the categorical social and political matters of the Nigerian Delta and the rustic as awhole.
Vampire characters are ubiquitous in pop culture, serving as metaphors for society’s so much delicate subjects—sexuality, gender roles, race, ethnicity, class—and frequently channeling frequent fears of immigration, crime, terrorism and habit. This e-book explores pop culture’s vampires variously as sexual seducers, savage monsters, noble protectors and drainers of human strength.
- Imagining the Pagan Past: Gods and Goddesses in Literature and History since the Dark Ages
- Imagining the Supernatural North
- Folk-Tales of Kashmir: Volume 32 (Trubner's Oriental Series)
- Garlands, Conkers and Mother-Die
- The Origins of Monsters: Image and Cognition in the First Age of Mechanical Reproduction (The Rostovtzeff Lectures)
- Vengeance in Reverse: The Tangled Loops of Violence, Myth, and Madness (Studies in Violence, Mimesis, & Culture)
Extra resources for Loving Vampires: Our Undead Obsession