By Keith H. Basso
Read or Download Portraits of 'the Whiteman': Linguistic Play and Cultural Symbols among the Western Apache PDF
Best linguistics books
Professor Howard Lasnik is likely one of the world's prime theoretical linguists. He has produced influential and significant paintings in components similar to syntactic idea, logical shape, and learnability. This number of essays attracts jointly a few of his most sensible paintings from his gigantic contribution to linguistic idea.
Opposed to a backdrop of the ethnic strife within the Balkans and the cave in of Yugoslavia in 1991, Robert Greenberg describes how the languages of Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, and Montenegro got here into being and indicates how their genesis displays ethnic, non secular, and political identification. His first-hand observations sooner than and after Communism supply insights into the character of language swap and the relation among language and id.
Studying Languages, studying existence abilities deals an autobiographical reflexive method of international language schooling. The orientation of the publication is useful, containing wealthy descriptions of language studying events together with real language use and scholar tales. instructing, together with making plans, equipment, school room paintings and review, and case experiences of 'good' language studying and the way discussion in line with reminiscing can be utilized to advertise scholars’ future health within the language lecture room are defined intimately.
This white paper is a part of a chain that promotes wisdom approximately language expertise and its capability. It addresses educators, reporters, politicians, language groups and others. the supply and use of language know-how in Europe varies among languages. as a result, the activities which are required to extra aid examine and improvement of language applied sciences additionally vary for every language.
- A Grammar of Mam, A Mayan Language (Texas Linguistics)
- The "War on Terror" Narrative: Discourse and Intertextuality in the Construction and Contestation of Sociopolitical Reality (Oxford Studies in Sociolinguistics)
- Evaluating Language Assessments (New Perspectives on Language Assessment Series)
- Die Selbstdarstellung nicht-prominenter Personen in der "Oliver Geissen Show" (German Edition)
- Grammatical Categories and Cognition: A Case Study of the Linguistic Relativity Hypothesis (Studies in the Social and Cultural Foundations of Language)
- Event Semantics of Verb Frame Alternations: A Case Study of Dutch and Its Acquisition (Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics)
Extra resources for Portraits of 'the Whiteman': Linguistic Play and Cultural Symbols among the Western Apache