By Patrick Harpur
Read Online or Download The Philosopher's Secret Fire: A History of the Imagination PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
Probably the most excellent, eclectic thinkers in Victorian England, the Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould (1834–1924) used to be intrigued by means of the ugly and infrequently savage heritage of the center a while. The famous writer and folklorist’s fascination with the interval led to this soaking up compilation of classic stories surrounding such figures as William inform and the guy within the Moon.
Portrayed by means of early shuttle writers as historic pagan survivals, gala's in Sardinia have lengthy interested either local islanders and outsiders. yet on the sunrise of the twenty-first century, this Mediterranean island has turn into a part of an international economic climate, and its fairs allure travelers from all over the world.
The Ozidi Saga is considered one of Africa's most sensible recognized prosimetric epics, set within the Delta zone of Nigeria. Blood at the Tides examines the epic -- a story of a warrior and his sorcerer grandmother's revenge upon the assassins who killed her son -- either as an instance of oral literature and as a mirrored image of the explicit social and political issues of the Nigerian Delta and the rustic as awhole.
Vampire characters are ubiquitous in pop culture, serving as metaphors for society’s such a lot delicate subjects—sexuality, gender roles, race, ethnicity, class—and frequently channeling common fears of immigration, crime, terrorism and dependancy. This ebook explores pop culture’s vampires variously as sexual seducers, savage monsters, noble protectors and drainers of human energy.
- Witchcraft and Folk Belief in the Age of Enlightenment: Scotland, 1670-1740 (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic)
- Folktales Told Around the World
- A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality
- Exploding the Myth?: The Peace Dividend, Regions and Market Adjustment (Routledge Studies in Defence and Peace Economics)
- Ireland's Animals: Myths, Legends & Folklore
- Aphrodite and Eros: The Development of Greek Erotic Mythology
Extra resources for The Philosopher's Secret Fire: A History of the Imagination