By Paul Giles
Throughout Virtual Americas Giles makes a speciality of particular examples of transatlantic cultural interactions comparable to Frederick Douglass’s stories and attractiveness in England; Herman Melville’s satirizing fictions of U.S. and British nationalism; and Vladimir Nabokov’s critique of ecu excessive tradition and American pop culture in Lolita. He additionally reverses his point of view, the illustration of San Francisco within the paintings of British-born poet Thom Gunn and Sylvia Plath’s poetic responses to England. Giles develops his concept in regards to the have to defamiliarize the research of yank literature via contemplating the cultural legacy of Surrealism in its place family tree for American reviews and by way of studying the transatlantic dimensions of writers resembling Henry James and Robert Frost within the context of Surrealism.
Read or Download Virtual Americas: Transnational Fictions and the Transatlantic Imaginary (New Americanists) PDF
Best international affairs books
40 years in the past, because the usa grew to become more and more interested by Vietnam, questions have been raised in Canada in regards to the courting among its overseas coverage schedule and that of its southern neighbour. Now, with the new wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's time to elevate an identical questions: does Canada want an self reliant international coverage?
A number of Paths to wisdom in diplomacy offers a uniquely important view of present techniques and findings in clash reviews. This quantity showcases paintings knowledgeable by means of 4 strong learn instruments: rational selection concept and online game idea; simulation, experimentation, and synthetic intelligence; quantitative reviews; and case stories.
This up-to-date variation of Treaty Talks in British Columbia strains the origins and improvement of treaty negotiations within the province and encompasses a postscript, co-authored with Peter Colenbrander, that offers an intensive evaluate of the treaty strategy from 2001 to 2009. The authors define the achievements of and demanding situations for the treaty technique and overview one of the most contemporary jurisprudence affecting local and non-Native rights.
Max Weber explored the political, epistemological and moral difficulties of modernity, and understood how heavily attached they have been. His efforts are resourceful, refined, even inspiring, but additionally wrong. Weber's epistemological successes and screw ups spotlight unresolvable tensions which are simply as reported this day and from which we've got a lot to benefit.
- The United States and Multilateral Institutions: Patterns of Changing Instrumentality and Influence (Mershon Center Series on International Security and Foreign Policy)
- China on the Ground in Latin America: Challenges for the Chinese and Impacts on the Region (The Political Economy of East Asia)
- Corporate Power and Ownership in Contemporary Capitalism: The Politics of Resistance and Domination (RIPE Series in Global Political Economy)
- The New Cambridge History of American Foreign Relations: Volume 2, The American Search for Opportunity, 1865–1913
- To Lead the Free World: American Nationalism and the Cultural Roots of the Cold War
- Globalization and Antiglobalization: Dynamics of Change in the New World Order (The International Political Economy of New Regionalisms Series)
Extra info for Virtual Americas: Transnational Fictions and the Transatlantic Imaginary (New Americanists)